In about 4 days, my fellows Malawians will head to the polling stations to elect counselors, Members of parliament and most of all we will vote for president! Elections only happen every 5 years and considering that I am 19, which means I’m a FIRST TIME VOTER!!!!! I am very excited, I’m planning to be at the polls early, already got my voting confirmation, and I even stopped by those little civic education stops in town lol (thank you N.I.C.E).
There are a total of 12 candidates running for president this year, tough choice. Making ‘the’ decision is hard, requires some thought process and reflecting, whoever you vote for will affect our country in the next 5 years, vote wisely please.
This post is not something to tell you who to vote for, but it will be giving some wisdom and guidance that I believe are very practical in this situation. I believe in the bible, I believe it has the answer to everything and that we should always hold on to as a stand for making our decisions, hence it is my source for this list. Here is a list of things that will guide me on who to vote for hopefully they will be beneficial to you:
- Our next president should be a person of integrity, “whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his way crooked will be found out” Proverbs 10:9. “The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them” Proverbs 11:3. A lot of things in this country need to be sorted out cashgate, corruption and the like, these practices will only be curbed with the presence of a leader with integrity not one who is easily shaken.
- Our next president should have a heart for the people above everything else. One of the worst diseases we have in this country is selfishness, we need a leader who will put the needs of us as a whole before anything, let’s not vote for people who will prosper us alone or one who will prosper our relatives alone. “But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find yourself your welfare” Jeremiah 29:7
- Our next president should have the fear of the Lord God almighty. Now before I go any further, this is not an endorsement for Chakwera that’s not what this post is about. But the bible says “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy one is insight” Proverbs 9:10.
- Our next president should be someone who has a vision and direction to where he is leading us to. With their leadership is Malawi going to be a better nation or worse off?
- Our next president must be a good listener. No man is an Island, all of these candidates don’t know it all, and at some point they will need to listen to other people in order to get wisdom and he/she must also know who to listen to. “Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety” Proverbs 11:14. “The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out” Proverbs 18:15